Punta Umbría is a lively town during July and August. There are quite a lot of outdoor activities, such as fishing, tracking routes etc. The bike lane runs along the coast, and it is possible to get to other beautiful villages by bike. Spend your time visiting typical white Andalusia villages or Doñana national park, or just stay and enjoy high quality food and wines.
Needless to say that tapas bars are good value and offer the best fish you can try.
We can suggest some places to go from Punta Umbría, but the best is the beach:
- Sevilla, is a beautiful city and a full visit may take several days, but in August perhaps it could be quite stifling because of the hot weather. You can come by bus or by car, avoiding weekends, when traffic is heavy.
- Portugal, which is very close and has charming villages and beaches (Tavira, Cacelha Velha, Faro...)
- El Rocio in the province of Huelva, in a lovely place, with a famous hermitage in which horses and riders abound. It is a popular pilgrimage place.
- La Rábida, where Cristóbal Colón departed to América on 3rd August 1492
- Doñana National Park, also in the province of Huelva, it is a natural reserve and UNESCO World Heritage Place. Its landscape, marshes and beaches are astonishing. Home of incredible biodiversity in both animals and plants.