Everyone lives within half an hour of beautiful beaches, hiking trails, spectacular landscapes and the lovely gulf islands. The sunny climate, Polynesian culture and outstanding food, wine and shopping has rated Auckland as the third most liveable city in the world.
*Kelly Tarlton's Sea Life Aquarium & Antarctic encounter with penguins & sharks; parking at entrance.
*Walking tracks, native bush & Pukeko birds at Tahuna Reserve.
* Walk to Dingle Dell bush Reserve in the heart of St Heliers.
* Trails & boardwalks follow scenic crater lakes at Orakei and Panmure Basins.
* Bus, walk/cycle around the waterfront to museums, art galleries and viaduct cafes.
* Victoria Park Market
* Sky Tower
* Take a ferry to Devonport shops, Waiheke Island vineyards, Rangitoto Island walk.
• Auckland city War Memorial Museum (Maori cultural shows) & Wintergarden, Auckland Domain
• Viaduct Basin downtown Auckland shops & galleries, Maritime Museum, Fish Market, cafes, bars.
• Cornwall Park, One Tree Hill and Bistro.
• Muriwai beach & Gannet colony: drive northwest via Kumeu for a picnic.
• Piha beach (via Titirangi & the Waitakere Ranges) picnic, swim, bush walks.
• Karekare beach (The Piano filmed here)
• Milford & Takapuna beaches, cafes & shops
• Tawharanui Regional Park & Omaha beaches